[OSM-dev] Bolder - Starting a new client-side OpenStreetMap style

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Apr 30 11:01:36 UTC 2018

On Monday 30 April 2018, Paul Norman wrote:

> I’ve started work on a new client-side style for OpenStreetMap data,
> and feel it’s reached the point where I can release it to the public.

I think that is a good idea - i in particular like that the toolchain
used seems to be free of NodeJS. ;-)

> The style should still be useful for mapper feedback, and some ways
> will become more useful. Vector tiles can associate OSM feature IDs
> with objects in many cases, helping debugging “where did that label
> come from”.

As you know i doubt serious overall mapper feedback is possible at the
moment with client side rendered vector tiles but the possibility of
additional QA functionality based on data in the vector tiles is an
interesting option.

I have not actually tested it yet but you seem to be using stone age
Natural Earth data at z0-z5 - which is a big step back from OSM-carto
IMO.

Do you have practical experience in deployments with loading external
data, in particular the coastlines, in PostGIS with regular (daily)
updates?  Certainly this is possible but it is also kind of and extreme
case of using PostGIS for something it is not intended for.

In the client style the method to specify colors seems rather odd to
me - is this some kind of standard in this field or is this just an
invention of you?

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/