[OSM-dev] Working with OSM data with less or no metadata

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 12:09:15 UTC 2018

> On 2/14/2018 8:17 AM, Roland Olbricht wrote:
>

>> - How about simply asking the users for consent? We could then
>> -- make a clear-cut last complete history dump before the date
>> -- start with a planet dump without history before that date afterwards
>> that then accumulates history only from users that have given consent
>>

> Consent is revocable. If we didn't have to deal with people revoking
> consent and account deletion requests, it would all be much easier.

We are asking for "a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual,
irrevocable licence to do any act that is restricted by copyright, database
right or any related right over anything within the Contents, whether in
the original medium or any other." Do you have reason to believe the
"irrevocable" part is invalid?

"Contents" means "data and/or any other content (collectively, “Contents”)"
[which the user contributes] "to the geo-database of the OpenStreetMap
project"
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Contributor_Terms

Account deletions are another issue, but don't seem complicated: remove the
human readable account alias and e-mail forwarding and prevent it from
editing.

Cheers,
Martin