[OSM-dev] Coastline – osm2pgsql

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Wed Jun 20 22:05:34 UTC 2018

SandorS <sandors39 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand the two involved processes are independent and the results
> are just mixed together at certain moment during the map-making process.

Right.

The main reason for doing this is, that coastlines tend to be broken very
often. Likely they are broken more often than they are actually usable.

Thus it has been decided a long time ago, that land polygons are rendered from
shapefiles proven to be mostly correct (e.g. all continents do exist) and
up-to-date stuff produced by osm2pgsql.

If you like to render your own map you can easily produse matching data from
the same planet file.

The coastline processing toolchain is available here:
https://github.com/osmcode/osmcoastline

Regards

Sven

--
"If you don't make lower-resolution mapping data publicly
available, there will be people with their cars and GPS