[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.12.0

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sun Jun 24 18:23:54 UTC 2018

On Sunday 24 June 2018, Sven Geggus wrote:

> May I mention the fact, that Mapserver is still actively maintained
> and that there even is a carto preprocessor called magnacarto which
> is able to produce mapserver style files.

Yes, Mapserver has some very powerful features - including even the
ability to code styling logic in javascript:

http://mapserver.org/de/mapfile/styleitem.html

The problem i have with Mapserver from a designer point of view is that
it offers a complex high level feature set with many functions clearly
intended for direct use.  But at the same time the language to
formulate this in (the mapfiles) is not really suited to write and
manage more complex stuff directly.  And Magnacarto only supports the
basic features offered by both Mapserver and Mapnik which does not
really work for Mapserver in the end since it does not make use of what
Mapserver can but Mapnik cannot.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/