[OSM-dev] about Carto and SQL

sav123 sav123 at h-f.net
Tue Mar 20 20:40:36 UTC 2018

-----Message d'origine-----
From: Paul Norman
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:36 PM
To: dev at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] about Carto and SQL

Hello

>> Kompza covered the variables you mentioned, but I if you're looking at
benchmarking, I recommend you set up the full rendering stack rather
than trying to generate queries yourself. The latter can be tricky to
get right, and you have to handle parallelism the same as the full stack
to get meaningful results. It's just easier to use renderd and feed it a
list of tiles with render_list than to write code that will take that
>> list, generate SQL, and run it.

This doesn't answer the question.
If you read the carto file, you will see that there are natural criteria ,
not only geometry.
Indeed, it is a bad idea to partition on coordinates, unless if a request
applies to a small region.

>> Kompza
Thank you very much.
My goal is to have optimized "replicates" keeping the original tables in a
master db.
I'll report the test results if they are interesting .

Igael