[OSM-dev] Indexing of PBF files

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Oct 15 21:56:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 10/15/2018 11:32 PM, Nick Stallman wrote:
> In doing this I noticed that all the tools handling PBF files are
> horribly inefficient. With PBF files being in essentially raw
> chronological order it means extracting any kind of meaningful data out
> of them requires scanning the entire file (even if you are only
> interested in a small region) and vast quantities of random reads.

I don't think your analysis is correct. I am not aware of any file that
processes PBFs and does random reads - they're all streaming, and worst
case they're reading the file in full three times. But no seeking. And
reading "only a region" from a PBF file is kind of a niche use case;
most people get the file that covers the area they need, and load it
into a database, where derived data structures will be built for
whatever the use case is.

The osmium command line tool is relatively good and efficient at cutting
out regions from a planet file if needed. Indexing a planet file would
only make sense if your use case involves repeatedly cutting out small
areas from a planet file.

> Judging from the PBF wiki page, all the work was done ~8 years ago and
> included the foresight to have fields for indexing but from what I can
> find nothing has been done about that since. Adding an index seems like
> a logical step which would reduce processing times for many common
> operations drastically.

As I said, most people take a PBF and load it into a database, and I
don't see how that processing would benefit from an index. What are the
"many common operations" you are thinking of?

> Some tools do make their own index or cache but
> it needs to be done for each tool and is sub optimal.

I'm only aware of Overpass which is essentially a database
implementation of its own, which not only does regional cuts but also
filtering by tags, and would certainly not be able to simply replace its
own database with an indexed PBF.

> I'm a little tempted to find the time to create an indexed format myself
> if needed and submit patches to the relevant tools so they can benefit
> from it.

Again, I struggle to understand which operations and tools would
benefit; I don't think the general OSM data user struggles with the
issues an index would solve. I could imagine if you ran a custom extract
server like extract.bbbike.org then having random, regionally indexed
access to a raw data file could be beneficial but that's about the only
case I can think of.
 > With this scheme, if you needed to make a country extract it would be
> too easy, Blobs could simply be copied as-is selected by their geohash.
> A later step could then filter out by polygon or bounding box if
> required over the subsequent significantly smaller file. If the entire
> planet file was being imported in to PostGIS then it could be done in a
> single pass since everything would be easily locatable.

The planet is imported into PostGIS in a single pass even now, at least
if you use osm2pgsql.

I am running a nightly job that splits the planet into tons of country
and smaller extracts on download.geofabrik.de. It takes a couple of
hours every night. Having an indexed planet file could save a little
time in the process but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. The reason
many people download country extracts from download.geofabrik.de is
probably not that the planet file isn't indexed and therefor extracting
a region is hard - it's that the planet file is huge and they don't want
to download that much. An indexed planet file would not help these users.

Not saying you shouldn't try it but I haven't yet understood the benefits.

Bye
Frederik