[OSM-dev] Fwd: Request for a Map as JPEG export

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 11:43:23 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 16. Apr 2019, at 10:18, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
> Method 3:
>
> Another option might be to use only QGIS, and start by adding an OSM
> layer from a free WMS server https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WMS and
> then add your KMZ on top. The "print composer" in QGIS should then allow
> you to create a large image. The output quality of this approach depends
> on whether or not the WMS supports high(er) resolution output; worst
> case, it will be only screenshot quality.

I would also recommend QGIS if you need a specific image. The mapnik rendering approach is worth the extra hassle only if you need to repeat the thing many times. You can import an extract in a Postgis db with osm2pgsql and make queries through QGis, it is still some work because you have to style the elements you want, and you should know the OpenStreetMap tags for the queries, but you do not need a lot of different features for a simple basemap, and can add all kinds of sources from a GUI.

Cheers, Martin