[OSM-dev] public transport stop_area relations: have you implemented for routing or another purpose?

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 07:34:41 UTC 2019

First off, I'm not mapping stop_area relations very often, only in case of
ambiguity. A stop near to a side street, but the bus passes on the main
street, or in bus stations where everything is very near to the other
objects.

JOSM's PT_Assistant plugin uses them to figure out which stop_position +
way adjacent to a highway=bus_stop node, if they are available. Usually
it's possible to determine it geographically. It also only works if the
stop_area relation contains pairs of stop_position / bus_stop nodes. If
someone simply throws all stop_position nodes, bus_stop nodes and platform
ways into them for stops on both sides of a street, or all stops in a bus
station, they are useless for that purpose.

Since, at that level, I'm using them to pair stop objects, I also have a
hierarchy of stop_area relations in some places. (bus stations adjacent to
railway or metro stations). At some point I was using stop_area_group for
that, but JOSM doesn't recognise that.

I don't know of any external app that uses them.

Polyglot