[OSM-dev] OSM augmented reality project - affordable hosting recommendations or Overpass?

Hartmut Holzgraefe hartmut.holzgraefe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:18:56 UTC 2019

On 05.02.19 10:30, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Basically what I need is an OSM PostGIS database (of the type used for
> Mapnik rendering) but it only needs to contain highways and selected
> POIs (as nodes) - nothing else. Ideally I also need PHP with the
> postgres extension as that is what my service is written in at the
> moment. However, if the best solution was an environment without PHP, I
> would be prepared to rewrite in say node.js.

How much processing power would that need?

I'm running an instance with a full planet osm2pgsql database, updated
every five minutes, on print.get-map.org, and for most of the time this
box is not under very high load.

CPU and RAM are dimensioned for being able to do a full planet import in
a reasonable time frame, but that is only needed once or twice a year,
and during such re-imports other services won't run anyway for a day or
two.

So having your code running along to e.g. create new offline Hikar data
sets e.g. once a day sounds doable?

--
hartmut