[OSM-dev] My own iD editor - OSM in a nutshell

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 17:09:44 UTC 2019

On 3/28/19 4:14 PM, Julien Cochennec wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to have my own iD editor on a server, to develop additional
> features or plugins.
> I'd like to connect it to different virtual servers "emulating" the
> whole OSM architecture, not to interfere with contributors.

You can always use the dev instance for your tests
(master.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org), which is what I recommend to get up
to speed quickly. iD editor comes with quite comprehensive documentation
on how to set up your local development environment and deploy your code
to a server.

In general, setting up your own OSM backend infrastructure is nothing
for the faint hearted. Be prepared to spend at least several weeks on
this topic.

> I would also like the result to be "exportable" to OSM real
> infrastructure so that the whole system would be OSM in a nutshell but
> whitout losing data that can be handled as contribution.

That's quite tricky. OSM object ids and versions need to match exactly,
you need to be prepared to handle conflicts, set up proper user names in
your local database etc. There's a whole lot more issue on a
non-technical level as well, which I'm not going to jump into here. If
you have no prior experience in this area, I would try to skip this part
for the time being, as it could be a major time sink.

> - Do you think it's possible?

Depends on how much time you want to invest.

> - If it's possible, which servers do I need to emulate?

As said, you could always set up your own Rails port. If your primary
goal is iD development, that's probably overkill, though.

> - Which file in iD source would I have to change so the APIs are local
> and not worldwide?

On http://preview.ideditor.com/master you can simply switch between live
and dev environment by clicking on the "live" button on the bottom
toolbar. IIRC, your local deployment should have the same button. Be
sure to use the "dev" server, and check your results on
https://master.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org after uploading.