[OSM-dev] Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:03:45 UTC 2019

"Should I use something like https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager
to manage the entire process

I don't think this is necessary for what you are doing, unless you
have a whole team of people who are going to be working together?

"do the mapper has to look at GPS in one tab and then make the
corresponding change in openstreetmap.org?

No, if you use the iD editor on openstreetmap.org there is an option
for seeing the GPS traces in the area which have already been
uploaded: "In iD open the editor and press B (or select icon
"Background settings") then check "OpenStreetMap GPS traces"

I think it takes a few hours for them to show up after they are imported.

Also note that the GPS trace needs to be uploaded as a public trace to
show up in the iD editor GPS layer:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Visibility_of_GPS_traces

In JOSM it's possible to either download all of the GPS traces in a
certain area from the servers, or also to directly open an individual
GPX file (or several at one time) and view them along with the
existing OSM data and aerial imagery layers: "In JOSM on the download
dialogue window, tick the box to fetch 'Raw GPS data'."

"I've checked various ways to upload GPX data on OSM but I'm not
getting it right."

I've always uploaded my GPS traces one at a time via
https://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/new - but I believe you can also
make a zip archive of a number of traces and upload them all as one
large GPS trace:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Web_front_end/How_to_upload_a_GPS_trace