[OSM-dev] planet.osm.org is verry slow

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 25 21:19:18 UTC 2020

Le 25.01.20 à 21:43, Simon Poole a écrit :

> Am 25.01.2020 um 21:12 schrieb marc marc:
>> is there a convenient way to update a pbf to exactly the same diff as
>> osm.org? and/or add the state.txt of the pbf produced on osm.org?
>> this would allow to have the same pbf mirrored on other sites without
>> having to download and/or encode the same thing several times
>
> The answer is likely no, because I don't believe there is a guarantee
> that the planet dump contains exactly the commits of a certain set of
> diffs,

the planet dump is done from the db itselft and not using by a cascade
of diffs (min->hourly>daily>weekly) ?
or maybe a special diff between planet dump.

> But that doesn't matter in a practical sense

it avoids having different files between mirrors, which is quite
annoying if a bug occurs on one variant and not on another depending
on the "mirror".

> In any case there is no argument to be made for the ~1'000 downloads
> that start shortly every week after the plant dump has been produced,

I agree.
maybe a rate limit "1st full speed" or "full speed for mirror"

> and of which for weird reasons 25% are actually
> downloading the compressed XML file (which is 30% larger).

there are probably some tools that don't support pbf (for example
osmfilter (I don't mind too much, I do an osmconvert before, but I guess
this extra step is not done and/or not available and/or not known by
other people).