[OSM-dev] Osmupdate 0.4.5 fails (osmctools)

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:52:02 UTC 2021

On 2/22/21 8:37 PM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> As it is always compared with osmium, I keep wondering what osmium does
> which makes it use more than 5 times CPU time.
>
> 12 cores fully saturated, so about 1836s of CPU time.
> time work/osmium-tool/build/osmium extract -p osm-tools-sea.poly  -o
> sea.pbf --progress asia-latest.osm.pbf
> real    2m33.952s
>

> single threaded, 357s CPU time:
> time ./osmconvert64 asia-latest.osm.pbf -B=osm-tools-sea.poly
> --complete-ways -o=sea.pbf
> real    5m57.311s

Osmium optimizes for elapsed (wall clock) time, not total CPU time.
Assuming you want to reduce the latter, you could try reducing the
number of pool threads:

export OSMIUM_POOL_THREADS=1

In a quick test, this brings osmium "total cpu time" in a range of 25%
vs. osmconvert at the expense of a longer elapsed time.

I haven't seen this being documented in the official docs, so I may be
misrepresenting something here. Use at own risk.