[Diversity-talk] [HOT] LGBTQ people at HOT Summit?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Feb 23 21:05:51 UTC 2018

Hi

I always presumed this was caused by people not considering it, rather
than active malice. Straight privilege, eh? :)

Yes there are limitations with holding events in NA/Europe, both legal
(immigration systems) and practical (higher relative cost). SotMs'
scholarship programmes are attempt to acknowledge and address this. And
we should do better, and keep these barrier(s) in mind. There are
countries in the global south, in Africa, where homosexuality is legal BTW.

Some concrete, constructive suggestions:

Inform any/all LGBTQ attendees that they need to go to Narnia (i.e. deep
in the closet). This might be impossible for some (e.g. trans people).
People should consider locking down their social media accounts, and
consider what apps or photos they have on their phones. One run in with
the police, and they look at your phone, and it's game over. (I didn't
do this when I went to Tanzania, but I did when considering going to Iran).

First option: Make this a no-LGBTQ event. Remove references to "sexual
orientation" and "gender identity" from the CoC. Allow homophobic and
transphobic harassment/abuse/insults at the event.

Second option: Try to make this event as LGBTQ-friendly /as possible/.
Reword the CoC to demote "sexuality" & "gender identity" sections to
reflect this, and acknowledge that not all (homo/transphobic) incidents
are actionable. i.e. Allow certain amounts of homophobic or transphobic
insults/etc at the event.

Your CoC already says police will only be contacted if the complainant
wants it, that's good. I suggest another rule: "Don't report any
attendees (& friends/family) to the police for LGBTQ activity"[0].

In the last few months, the Tanzanian government[1][2], and police, have
announced a crackdown on gay rights, and they're implementing it.
Arresting LGBTQ people[3][4], and owners of venues[5], which host
pro-LGBTQ events, and shutting down NGOs which promote LGBTQ
rights[6][7].

Can you trust the venue to not inform the police? If there's a dispute
and you want to remove someone from the event, what will any local
security staff, or local volunteers, do with those threats hanging over
them? Be conscience that if you get the police involved in any incident,
the accused might points out a homosexual in the mist to deflect
attention & discredit your organization.

LGBTQ people can go to Tanzania. But the organizers ability to enforce a
CoC in this area is severely limited. This is why you cannot continue to
call it a (LGBTQ) safe space.

Good luck.

Rory

--

[0] Specific wording. A general "don't call police" enables abusers
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/46791.html

[1] 'Seeds of hate' sown as Tanzania starts LGBT crackdown. The
Guardian, 8 August 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/08/seeds-of-hate-sown-as-tanzania-starts-lgbt-crackdown

[2] Tanzania suspends HIV/AIDS programs in new crackdown on gays.
Chicago Tribune, 23 November 2016
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-tanzania-crackdown-on-gays-20161123-story.html

[3] Lesbianism lands four people in Mwanza court. The Citizen, 9
December 2017
http://www.thecitizen.co.tz/News/Lesbianism-lands-four-people-in-Mwanza-court/1840340-4220972-11ewf0x/index.html

[4] Police arrest woman in Tanzania over video of same-sex kiss.
Reuters, 2 December 2017.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tanzania-lgbt/police-arrest-woman-in-tanzania-over-video-of-same-sex-kiss-idUSKBN1DW0FP

[5] Zanzibar police nab 20 over homosexuality. Daily News, 17 September 2017
https://www.dailynews.co.tz/index.php/home-news/53017-zanzibar-police-nab-20-over-homosexuality

[6] State suspends NGO supporting gay marriages. Daily News, 21 October 2017
https://www.dailynews.co.tz/index.php/home-news/53703-state-suspends-ngo-supporting-gay-marriages

[7] Nchemba: We’ve no room for gays. Daily News, 26 June 2017,
https://www.dailynews.co.tz/index.php/home-news/51447-nchemba-we-ve-no-room-for-gays