[Diversity-talk] Code of Conduct & Moderation for this list

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 14:27:37 UTC 2018

Hi Rory,

>From my perspective, and I am not sure why it is left out of geekfeminism's
policy is that item one under "Harassment includes" should list "national
origin, cultural affiliation" to address the issue of people making
offensive comments about people from particular countries or cultures.

We might even include something like "OpenStreetMap participation style" in
that list so we do not have to tolerate disparaging remarks about remote
mappers, craft mappers, newbie mappers or folks that participate through
non-mapping contributions.

And I would change or add to the first line "Offensive or disparaging
comments..." because "disparaging" or "derogatory" are open to much less
debate than the very subjective "offensive". How many endless discussions
will there be (or have their been) about what is offensive as opposed to
the somewhat easier to identify, disparaging or derogatory comment.

I am also not convinced that an OSMF supported resource can have its own
Code of Conduct, but that is another discussion.

Cheers
blake

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:44 AM, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To follow up on the phone call, and waiting a little bit for people to
> join. 😁
>
> I think this list should have a Code of Conduct. I propose something
> like Geek Feminism's one. Thoughts?
>
>     http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Community_anti-harassment/Policy
>
> If/When anyone else volunteers to mod this list, I'll add them. Just
> email me.
>
> I'm new to running a mailman list, but I think if you email
> diversity-talk-owner at openstreetmap.org that will only go to the list
> mods (and the emails aren't public). This can function as a private "mod
> list", or report system.
>
> There some moderation features with mailman (this software), everything
> is still on the default settings (I think). Feel free to suggest
> improvements.
>
> Rory

> Code of Conduct: TBD
> Contact the mods (private): diversity-talk-owner at openstreetmap.org