[Diversity-talk] Who Maps The World

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:42:25 UTC 2018

> So do we want to propose switching from amenity=kindergarten as a
> general pre-school childcare tag to the more descriptive and general
> case amenity=childcare tag? Or improve the description of the existing
> tag and promote subtags, for example to distinguish the general case from
> the US case and or use age's.

Currently,  the wiki page on kindergarten [1] has already several
hints to the use for different situations:

* "This tag is also currently used for establishments where parents
can leave their young children but which provide no formal education."
* reference to min_age and max_age.
* In the section for Germany, Switserland, Austria: "Recently it was
proposed to add sub-tags for the three age categories, nursery=yes,
preschool=yes and after_school=yes."

so it seems that people are already extending the kindergarten-related
tags to be used for childcare as well.

This is a type of discussion that has popped up in other areas as
well: do we add additional tags to a more general concept to describe
the different variants, or do we use a specific tag for each variant ?
Defining whether something is a variant or a a different "beast", has
lead to many mails on the tagging mailing list. People use the
expression duck-tagging vs. structured tagging in those discussions.

regards

m.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=kindergarten