[Diversity-talk] Who Maps The World

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Mar 19 15:38:30 UTC 2018

On 19/03/18 16:18, Philip Barnes wrote:
> Baby hatch sounds a horrible tag, sounds mechanical uncaring and
> impersonal. I assume it means a maternity ward?

They're literally hatches for babies (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_hatch ). They're in some countries,
and are attached to maternity hospitals. They are places for new mothers
to leave their babies.

There are a lot of crisis pregnancies, and sometimes repressive
societies, and sometimes new mothers make rash decisions[1] and there
are plenty of newborn babies who are left to die. The theory here is
that if they are going to abandon the baby, better the baby is left
somewhere safe(r), than the side of a road, or worse.

--

[1] Until recently Ireland was such a society. 15 year old Ann Lovett
died giving birth in a grotto, and the last slave labour factory for