[Diversity-talk] Tagging Informed Consent for Trans*/🏳️‍⚧️ healthcare in OSM?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sat Feb 20 20:32:32 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I saw a tweet¹ with a Google Map mash-up, and I don't think one can make a map like that in OSM (right?). So, how can we tag that a medical facility follows “Informed Consent” for HRT & healthcare for trans* people?²

`informed_consent=yes/no` on objects with `amenity=clinic` (or `healthcare=clinic`) seems obvious. But it could be misleading. In theory, all medical facilities follow informed consent for treating their patients. Except many don't for trans* people, a double standard.³ So what's a good tag? (I searched and I can't find anything now, or did I miss something?)

My current favorite is `healthcare:trans:informed_consent=yes/no`, but some other ideas are:  `lgbt:informed_consent=yes/no`? `trans_hrt:informed_consent=yes/no`? `trans:hrt:informed_consent=yes/no`? `trans*:informed_consent=yes` (yes a literal * 😈)? `trans:informed_consent=yes/no`? But I am not sure.

To preempt some possible questions: I think there are many places which do this, but this isn't the main focus. e.g. in the USA, Planned Parenthood provides healthcare as per , and they primarily focus on family planning. So we can't use `healthcare:speciality=*`, it would have to be a separate tag. As for verifiabilty, you could ask a venue if they follow this system, or they might publish that they do.

I think healthcare tagging in OSM is, unfortunately, a bit messy, but I don't know a lot about it.

What do yous think? Any ideas, suggestions, feedback? Anything I got wrong?

--
Rory

[1]: https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1349585069992771586
[2]: What “informed consent” in this context means:
https://www.gendergp.com/informed-consent-transgender-hormones-testosterone-estrogen-blockers/
https://jme.bmj.com/content/45/7/480
https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/informed-consent-medical-care-transgender-and-gender-nonconforming-patients/2016-11
[3] Abigail Thorne (creator of “Philosophy Tube”) explains some medical double standards (from 1:55 on) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-TrnwH4iQ