[Geocoding] Nominatim Install Problems

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 00:35:53 GMT 2009

> I did this and it appears to be inserting about 100-200 rows per second (eyeballing it). The problem appears to be that my RAM usage is increasing on the postgres process by about 2-4MB per second and never released. This causes things to eventually use swap space, slow and crash.

I think this has to be a problem with postgresql or postgis - I can't
imagine anything in the code for nominatim that would have such an
effect.  I suspicion would be a problem in postgis since this seems to
be particularly prone to memory problems.

The other item that might be worth checking is the
transliteration(text) function - just run it across a set of text
fields and check it isn't the cause of the memory problems.

> What version of Linux/PostgreSQL are you using? I haven't seen much on the wiki about CentOS so I'm wondering if there is a version problem, or I'm missing a package or something. It may be worth trying a fresh install on a virtual machine to see if I'm simply missing something.

The main server is running Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, with postgresql 8.3.8
and postgis 1.3.3-1
One of my local test system is CentOS release 5.2, with postgresql
8.3.5 and postgis 1.3.4-1
The other is Ubuntu 9.10, with postgresql 8.3.8 and postgis 1.3.5

None of this seem to show the problems you describe.  A missing
package seems unlikely to cause the problems you describe.

--
 Brian