[Historic] The "time" of time

Aaron Straup Cope aaronofmontreal at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 22:58:59 BST 2012

One of the things that a few of us in the museum world have been talking
about is boiling any given date in to 4-5 individual fields:

* A display date, like "c. 12c crazy times"

* An ISO-8601 date string

* A boolean indicating BCE

* A granularity, which is little more than a label/pointer to a function
that calculates a date range for a starting (ISO-8601 + is_bce).

Flickr used "granularities" to express month, year, decade and
eventually circa for photos in the Commons. Circa was simply decided
from on high (read: me) to mean 5 years on either side of a date but you
could make the rules governing date in and dates out as complex as you
wanted. They just need to be documented somewhere.

* A function for encoding/decoding one end of granulatity(iso8601,
isbce) as a signed (big) int for storing the above as plain numbers for
doing fast date ranges in a database. The idea is that 0 would continue
to mean Jan 1 1970 and that anything before it would become a negative
number.

An added bonus would be something that could take (iso8601, bce,
granularity) and pre-generate as good a display date as possible.

It's still mostly talk although the talk has started to include words
about grant money to find someone to do the encoding/decoding. The last
thing I want to do (or can) is suffer that kind of date math.

But it would be super useful across a range of fields, I think.