[OHM] 3 Students Working for a Semester on Historical Map Project
dennis.meier at epfl.ch
Mon Mar 2 14:38:05 UTC 2015
(Disclaimer: This is a resubmit. The last Mail wasn't accepted by the
list since I wasn't subscribed)
We are 3 students from EPFL (http://epfl.ch/) IT Master Programs. We are
working this semester on a Digital Humanities Project about the
evolution of frontiers in the Venice republic. Our predecessor built
this nice little webapp:
http://veniceatlas.epfl.ch/atlas/timelines/dominio-da-mar/ (you can
scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the actual map)
Our task would be to improve on this and maybe build something more
general. For this, we would like to prevent to reinvent the wheel and
thought about spending our time working on openhistoricalmap.org (OHM)
* Adding Data about the venice republic to the OHM database
* Documenting this process / improving OHM documentation in general
* Implementing improvements to the OHM UI (e.g. adding a timeline slider)
Our ideal final state would be to have a product similar of that of our
predecessor (which bases on google maps), but on the open and modifiable
framework of openhistoricalmap.org, such that following generations of
students (or anybody actually) could add or improve on our work more easily.
Our questions are the following:
* What are your general thoughts about something like this?
* What would be other possible tasks where both OHM and we as a team
* Who is responsible for the GUI of OHM in general (or the time slider
in particular) and could be contacted for directions/questions?
Nicolas, Jan & Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Historic