[OHM] Wikidata + OSM

Jo Walsh metazool at fastmail.net
Wed Mar 11 10:37:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 02:20 PM, Susanna Ånäs wrote:
> A question brought up in this list
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata-l/2015-March/005574.html.
>
> I am a keen supporter of the idea, or something along the lines, for
> creating a historical gazetteer. Would anyone be willing to reply /
> participate in the discussion? I lack the technical capacity to do so.

I have joined the wikidata list and may try to participate in the
discussion. It is something that would be a very useful facility,
outwith the historical context. A recent issue for DWG has been that of
name translation / transliteration. It's clear that OSM is not the place
to store hundreds of thousands of translated names; a dedicated wikidata
instance could be an ideal exemplar.

Note that licensing issues mean that data transport is one-way, e.g. it
is not appropriate to copy from OSM into wikidata because the latter is
CC0 licensed, but copying from wikidata into OSM is okay.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikidata