[OHM] Data Loss

Rob H Warren warren at muninn-project.org
Sat Feb 25 12:39:21 UTC 2017

I regret to announce that *all* backups of OHM have their data truncated at about 2015-05-19 [1]. Confusingly, this includes the database binaries as copied from the failed raid array. Our new setup has dedicated hardware monitoring, hot-standby drives and a stack of spares next to the array.

This situation is obviously not acceptable and a gigantic pain even for people who can rebuild their user accounts / edits. Following up on Richard's post, a full daily database backup is being automated to offsite location(s) and OHM planet files will shortly be made available. If you want to pitch in for OHM without too much overhead, consider spending 5 mins to write a cron script to keep your own backup of the OHM planet file.

A number of you are having trouble with new user registration and email from the OHM website[2], I've tracked it down to firewall issues and will resolve it asap.

Do keep reporting errors to the github and complaining when things go ary; we are all busy and the squeaky wheel gets (the necessary) grease.

-Rob

[1] https://github.com/OpenHistoricalMap/OpenHistoricalMap/issues/7
[2] https://github.com/OpenHistoricalMap/OpenHistoricalMap/issues/8