[HOT] [Talk-ht] [Fwd: [CrisisMappers] Fwd: Map code skills required]

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Thu Apr 8 13:16:16 BST 2010

Hi,

A followup to let you know that the area has been entered in OSM, and to
document the "process":

- the points coordinates from the Presidential decree were written in a
text file (fixing a typo: a pair of digits were repeated 3 times,
reduced this to 2 times to make the size of the number consistent with
the others),
- which was converted to shapefile with gen2shp utility program,
- coordinates where transformed from UTM 18N to lat/lon, with ogr2ogr
-s_srs EPSG:32618 -t_srs EPSG:4326
- shapefile was converted to .osm with ogr2osm.py,
- .osm was imported with JOSM.

For the South East side of the area, road RN1 (which was in OSM, sourced
at CNIGS and CartONG) was used.

The area is defined as a relation within OSM, with admin_level=10, which
should hopefully make it show on the maps at
http://www.openstreetmap.org, at least at high zoom levels, once the
tiles have been updated (thanks to Richard Weait for his indications).

The relation is there : http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=546964

Comments are welcome, of course.

By the way, I am wondering whether this could not be a communication
support for OpenStreetMap. E.g. let journalists that might wish to write
about the Port-auPrince IDP relocation offer know that there is a map
that they can use freely under its license...

See e.g. : http://www.metropolehaiti.com/metropole/full_une_fr.php?id=17454

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem