[HOT] Pakistan Floods, HOT and OSM mappers

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 01:23:25 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Would it be helpful to make mapping in the flood area a project of the
> week at this point?  Should we wait for more / better / newer imagery
> before calling for wider participation?

Probably wait.

For now, we could use some help with mapping Osh and Bazar-Korgan in
Kyrgyzstan.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Kyrgyzstan

I have done some mapping for Bazar-Korgan... most of the roads are there,
but we can map landuse, buildings, etc.   As much detail from imagery would
help people who later map on-the-ground there.

Also (not all flood-affected areas), but some areas of Pakistan do have good
Yahoo imagery (e.g. Karachi) and need work.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=353295

What should be added to these pages before calling for wider participation?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_07_Pakistan_Floods

Key thing obviously is obtaining imagery and data that we can use.  The wiki
page indicates some effort is underway to obtain imagery.

Not sure what to add to the pages now.

-Katie

Katie Filbert
filbertk at gmail.com