[HOT] Status of pre and post quake imagery friendly licenced to OSM for tracing in support of Pak Floods crisis mapping

Chris Blow cgblow at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 05:44:43 BST 2010

Useful review of progress in this area via crisis commons list today: http://wiki.rhok.org/Task_Turking

I really want to solve this problem -- specifically the OSM-via-crowdmap problem -- and it sounds like I need to read a bit more and experiment with some of the available options. Swift seems like a natural fit to me since I have worked on it a bit, but I was originally thinking of something more on the level of just a bash script, just ushahidi2osm.sh or something -- it sounds like Sahana has this solved and I just need to extract the code. (Fantastic!)

Fran can you point me to the appropriate files?

I have some tasking wireframes that I can update to encapsulate this spec -- perhaps a visual can ground our conversation and cleave away some of the larger scope floating around in this concept.

Generally I'm concerned about Ushahidi data remaining outside OSM now that crowdmap has such potential for POI entry by people who can not (or will not) use josm or potlatch. For the last couple of years Ushahidi has been very event-oriented, but now I feel certain that it is going to attract more POI entry from crowdmap. Likewise it appears that OSM is moving more toward incorporating time-sensitive data or events.

I can't really speak to integration with other platforms, but I can appreciate the general applicability of a tasking server supporting lots of formats. I want to just start small and specific, and would ideally like to avoid a full-blown third application with separate logins and databases and such.

PS kindly can we please stop calling it "Turk"-everything, on grounds that it is (originally) racist and (now) a corporate trademark. I would as soon call it the Mechanical Negro. "Tasking" is more accurate anyway. :)