[HOT] Pre-disaster imagery of Pakistan Floods now available from SPOT

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Thu Aug 19 22:37:29 BST 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Mikel Maron wrote:

> Before using the imagery, please review the legal agreement at http://www.youmapps.org/licenses/EULA-OSM-EN.html
> Note that SPOT has authorized use in JOSM, Merkaartor, and Viking, but not Potlatch (I wasn't given a reason).

The reason is probably this clause in the EULA:

[[

    The END-USER shall not do any of the following:

    (a) do anything not expressly authorized under Article 2.1; In particular, the END USER shall not download, re-broadcast, or post on the internet whole or part of the PRODUCT and shall prevent any third party from doing any of these actions.

]]

This would prohibit caching/proxying the WMS in tiles using something like TileCache or Whoots, meaning (unless I am mistaken) that Potlatch would be unable to use the imagery under the given terms.

> Hopefully this imagery proves useful in the base map. Please distribute this information to any interested mappers.

I just went to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_07_Pakistan_Floods/Imagery_and_data_sources and didn't see this there, and by the time I logged in to add it, you'd already edited the page. :-) Great work on this, Mikel and thanks to both you and Jeff for making this happen.

Don't forget to tag derived features with the attribution, gang!

SDE