[HOT] Fw: advise on legal guidance for HOT organization formation

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 16:04:57 BST 2010

Further IANAL legal advice on the European entity. He doesn't realize Nicolas is
leading this in France.

Re your institutional arrangements, I'd just be inclined to  emphasise the point
that it's (unfortunately) not possible to have an 'EU  office' that will
function as representation (eg for processing donations tax  free) across all
European countries. This will be clear to anyone from this  side of the pond but
may need explaining to your colleagues in North America, as  there tends to be a
view - understandably but incorrectly - that Europe  is more legally and
fiscally integrated than it actually is. So in deciding  where to place your
European entity it becomes important to consider where your  source of most
private/corporate donations is likely to be. But also the  practicalities of
where you would want to have an office. There are a lot  of other factors: for
example NGOs in some countries (sadly excluding the  UK) can reclaim VAT on
goods and services purchased.

This site has useful background including types of association  and foundation
structures for each country:
http://www.usig.org/countryinfo/france.asp#Knowledgeable_Contacts

I suppose the EU branch is really focused on European Commission grant
opportunities??