[HOT] Disaster waiting to happen in Pakistan

Shoaib Burq shoaib at nomad-labs.com
Tue Mar 23 13:38:07 GMT 2010

Hi all,

Kashif (cc'd) just made me aware that Aljazeera has reported a dam
threat in the Hunza valley, Pakistan
(http://blogs.aljazeera.net/asia/2010/03/18/threat-dam-keeps-pakistanis-edge)
that has the potential to burst and cause loss of life and property
down stream. They also have a video report (It seems very serious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-SXKIXPkI). There is hardly any data
available for this part of Pakistan on osm.

I have setup a wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hunza,_Pakistan_Dam_Threat_March_2010
to start listing datasets.
If you know of any map sources please list them there. we can then
look at georeferencing them somehow.

If someone know about the applicability of  SRTM data set for doing
network flow analysis to predict what might be likely flow effects
please let me know.

Shoaib Burq
--
Canberra, Australia