[HOT] Is mapping Pakistan a good thing ?

Shoaib Burq shoaib at nomad-labs.com
Fri Oct 1 12:00:31 BST 2010

Resending to list...

The reason for mapping villages was to Geocode Rapid Damage Impact
Assessments of Flood Damage that was conducted by UN-WFP, Pakistan.

WFP did these in over 3000 villages but didn't have the expertise or
equipment to geocode each damage report. So they requested geocoding
of these.

We were using DMA layers for geocoding - which I am sure NATO or
anyone who has interest in geo-data for the region will have access
to. They are from the 80's which was an even more sensitive time with
the cold war and Soviet Union in active conflict in Afghanistan.

If anyone has any reasons for caution please share your thoughts.

Shoaib