[HOT] Is mapping Pakistan a good thing ?

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 16:55:32 BST 2010

Jean

Asides of the geocoding of 3,000 villages by WFP, it would be worthy to keep
focusing on "classic" base map mapping on areas covered by SPOT imagery (and
yahoo good imagery)
See imagery section<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_07_Pakistan_Floods/Imagery_and_data_sources>of
the Pakistan Floods wiki

The AOI is extremely wide, amongst the areas where it might be worhty to
focus mapping efforts, come
* the Northern Region of the Khyber
Pukhtoonkhwa<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pukhtoonkhwa>

There are surely additional areas, great if this can be further specified on
the list

Best

Nicolas

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Jean Millerat <jean.millerat at gmail.com>wrote:

> Resending to the list (SMTP issue for me with previous attempt).
>
> Le 01/10/2010 13:00, Shoaib Burq a écrit :
>
>  WFP did these in over 3000 villages but didn't have the expertise or
>> equipment to geocode each damage report. So they requested geocoding
>> of these.
>>
>> We were using DMA layers for geocoding
>>

> What's the current status of this request : does the WFP still need this
> data ? Does anybody still need such geocoding to be completed ? Or has this
> been already completed ?
>
> I am at the 2nd Crisis Camp Paris now. I am wondering whether or not we
> should help on this now. I guess the best pages to start from for us are
> these :
>
> http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Pakistan/2010_Floods/Tasks/Geocoding
>

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_07_Pakistan_Floods/Mapping_Coordination/Mapping_Tasks
>
> Please provide any better link if available.
>
> --
> Jean Millerat
> Wecena, rendre vos informaticiens fiers d'améliorer le monde
> Jean.Millerat at wecena.com   +33 1 77 455 344   Jean.Millerat at gmail.com

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti