[HOT] Is mapping Pakistan a good thing ?

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Oct 1 17:01:24 BST 2010

Le 01/10/2010 17:16, Jean Millerat a écrit :
> Resending to the list (SMTP issue for me with previous attempt).
>
> Le 01/10/2010 13:00, Shoaib Burq a écrit :
>> WFP did these in over 3000 villages but didn't have the expertise or
>> equipment to geocode each damage report. So they requested geocoding
>> of these.
>>
>> We were using DMA layers for geocoding
>
> What's the current status of this request : does the WFP still need
> this data ? Does anybody still need such geocoding to be completed ?
> Or has this been already completed ?
>
> I am at the 2nd Crisis Camp Paris now. I am wondering whether or not
> we should help on this now. I guess the best pages to start from for
> us are these :
>
> http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Pakistan/2010_Floods/Tasks/Geocoding
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_07_Pakistan_Floods/Mapping_Coordination/Mapping_Tasks
>

> Please provide any better link if available.

Hi Jean,

There are also many features (roads, villages, canals...) still to be
traced in available Spot imagery
(http://harrywood.co.uk/maps/pakistan/coverage.php).

For example, (but not only), in all the central branch of Indus valley,
including Dera Ismail Khan, Kot Addu, etc...

(and Landsat can sometimes be used to complete linear features that
extend beyond Spot coverage).

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem