[HOT] Typhoon Megi

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 05:27:47 BST 2010

 http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2010-October/002622.html

Jean-Guilhem posted this to talk-ph

Hi,

- "Potentially catastrophic Super Typhoon Megi approaching the Philippines"
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1661

- From http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/:
*Hourly Update on Typhoon "JUAN" *
As of 6:00 a.m., today (Monday, 18 October 2010), Typhoon *"JUAN"* was
located at *190 km *East of *Tuguegarao,Cagayan. * *(17.5°N, 123.5°E)*
with maximum sustained winds of *225 kph* near the center and gustiness
of up to *260 kph*. Moving *West Southwest * at *19 kph*. Estimated
central pressure: *922 hpa.*

- NOAA numerical weather model, as shown by zyGrib, forecast that
typhoon trajectory should sweep over Northern Luzon.

Certainly, Mappers from the Philippines could say better what could be
of help.

It seems that OSM map of the potentially affected area contains many
towns without connecting roads (http://osm.org/go/42hNR6-- ). It is
difficult to trace them without more imagery than is available now (I've
let our contact at Spot Image know about this), but we could already use
Landsat to map rivers (as heavy rains are forecast, and flash floods
possible).

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

== Mikel Maron ==