[HOT] [talk-ph] Typhoon Megi/Juan Humanitarian OSM Team activation request

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 12:46:15 BST 2010

Hi,

Some update on this:
1. jgc, chippy and Schuyler is working on improving the rectification
of the 1:50k topomaps:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines_Tropical_Storm_2010#Other_data_sources

Basically we have two wms available.
The telascience service is an automatic rectification while the nypl
service requires manual identification of ground control point (GCPs).
 IYou can improve the rectification by adding more GCPs using the nypl
service.  We can then combine both service.

2. I initiated contact with the Province of Isabela if there is a need
for mapping assistance.  Our local contact responded that they don't
need assitance at the moment.  Response below:
"extends his thanks, though no need to go, since they are having
trouble coordinating the number of groups there who are already
involved in rescue and aid."

However, I encourage everyone to continue with the mapping effort.
Recovery efforts for the heavily damaged towns will take much longer.