[HOT] Pakistan Imagery

Peter STUMPF Peter.STUMPF at unoosa.org
Wed Sep 1 11:32:44 BST 2010

We're actually working on an imagery fund to get rid of the licence issues we are all having.

So in times of a disaster, we would just buy imagery from a satellite provider and open it up on a wms. Not only you, but also our users keep asking for raw data, and that's the only way of going. Buying this stuff, so you can be sure, it'll be there right after the disaster and publishing it, so anybody can access it. Thinking of earthquakes where every hour counts and only having imagery after 3 days doesn't make any sense. If you buy it, you get the service. If you ask for free, you're always depending on the good will of the provider.

The pot we're trying to fill up is part of our SpaceAid framework, which helps getting access to post-disaster imagery.
http://www.un-spider.org/spaceaid
Promoting this pot, could help all of us.

Peter

Peter Stumpf

UN-SPIDER
United Nations Platform for Space-based Information
for Disaster Management and Emergency Response

UNOOSA
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs

Hermann-Ehlers-Str. 10
53113 Bonn
Germany