[HOT] Pakistan Imagery

Sam Larsen samlarsen1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 14:15:10 BST 2010

> > We're actually working on an imagery fund to get rid of the  licence issues
>we are all having.
> >
> > So in times of a disaster, we  would just buy imagery from a satellite
>provider and open it up on a wms. Not  only you, but also our users keep asking
>for raw data, and that's the only way  of going. Buying this stuff, so you can
>be sure, it'll be there right after the  disaster and publishing it, so anybody
>can access it. Thinking of earthquakes  where every hour counts and only having
>imagery after 3 days doesn't make any  sense. If you buy it, you get the
>service. If you ask for free, you're always  depending on the good will of the
>provider.
>
> This is good to  hear
>
> Though even if we had funds to buy imagery, I wonder if it comes  with terms of
>use that disallow deriving vector map data and putting it out  there under
>creative commons or obdl.

+1

Even if the data has been paid for - does not necessarily mean we can use it in
OSM.
It is good that there is a body attempting to acquire imagery at a cost in times
of need.  Maybe we could work on our specific purchase arrangement with the
imagery supplier.  For use in OSM - that would mean they would have to grant the
ability to create derived datasets from their imagery (via tracing) under our
hotly debated new license & contributor terms [1].
Also, are the cost of these imagery purchases discounted in any way from the
imagery provider?  They could possiblly give us/UN-SPIDER an ethical purchase
discount and advertise this as part of their ethical corporate policy.

[1]  http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/We_Are_Changing_The_License