[HOT] ICCM Workshop

Sam Larsen samlarsen1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 09:28:56 BST 2010

Kate,

I gave a workshop at the Cambridge Crisis Camp this week and one area which i
could have handled better was around OSM editing in general.

1) Some of the participants felt a little detatched from what they had heard
about OSM editing (on the ground GPS style surveying) and what i showed them.  A
better description about why we were doing relatively poor quality mapping
(tracing from the SPOT imagery) would have helped.  I did try to address this,
but also tried to balance my talking with actual mapping.
2) Also, there were some computing/remote sensing enthusiasts there who were
questioning the process when compared to computational image processing to
extract features from satellite imagery as opposed to thousands of hours
hand-tracing imagery.  I didn't really get into the reasons why we are not doing
that (as that could have taken a while) - which may have put a few off.

Really my points above are about engaging with the mappers.  First impressions
count and if they are put off by some unanswered questions like those above - we
may not get them to come back.

Sam