[HOT] recording damage

Chris Blow cgblow at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 07:01:03 BST 2010

Hello,

is anyone working on icons for the taxonomy?

I do not see any at all here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model

So presumably the defaults from the main features page are being used?

I worked on some custom icons for the Ushahidi Haiti taxonomy: http://unthinkingly.github.com/ushahidi-haiti-icons

I would like to expand these to align with the HOT data model.

My experience with creating a bunch of icons by hand has been a bit tedious, so I think the best way to proceed would be to A) do more custom vector design work and the B) write a script to generate completed, standardized icons using those vectors (with customizations to the border/background/color/size etc.) Ultimately I want a large, beautiful icon set that can be customized to work well with various basemaps and cartographic themes. As far as I am aware, many icons already exist, but they are inappropriate, ugly, or inflexible -- and even if we just used those there is not a library for scripting the generation of customized icons.

I would appreciate advice on how to best proceed.

gratefully,