[HOT] Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Frédéric Bonifas fredericbonifas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:35:54 BST 2011

Hi,

I have noticed that the participation in mapping Ivory Coast isn't huge.

We usually have no data sources. So we spend time tracing with landsat,
defining the areas of interest, trying to get images, and complaining about
the lack of available data sources.

For Ivory Coast we are in the contrary case : we have tons of satellite
images but no one to trace over it.

Perhaps you are currently mapping another area ?
Perhaps you don't see the interest in mapping Ivory Coast ?
Perhaps the data sources available were not promoted enough ?
Perhaps quality of available satellite imagery is too bad ?
Perhaps the communication around the usefulness of this mapping action
wasn't good ?
Perhaps the media did not talk a lot about this crisis ?
Perhaps ... ?

This is really a "naive" message, without pre-conceived ideas, just to
understand why we fail and how we can improve.

Thanks

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas