[HOT] Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Frédéric Bonifas fredericbonifas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:47:48 BST 2011

Yes,

Political crisis following the presidential elections led to violence
all over the country :

* In Abidjan, number of displaced people was estimated to 800.000 two
weeks ago. Although calm slowly returns to Abidjan, violence is still
ongoing especially in the Yopougon district (west of the city, 1
million people).

* Violence has been terrible in the western part of the country. UNHCR
talking about "massacre" [1]. This area has been especially affected
[2] and the imagery we got yesterday from SPOT covers this.

* There are refugee camps in Liberia, approximately 150.000 Ivorian
refugees according to UNHCR [3]. UNOSAT has authorized OSM to trace
over one of its imagery for the Bahn camp in Liberia (the biggest camp
if I make no mistake) [4]

Unfortunately, the "end" of the political crisis does not
automatically implies the end of the humanitarian crisis : displaced
people will still stay in camps for a time, infrastructures are
destroyed, people are afraid of reprisals and violence. Protection,
health and food needs are big. Many organizations are now operating
there and lacking good baseline data.

As I told yesterday, OSM is in the Common Operational Dataset of OCHA
[5] : so OSM data is already used but needs to be improved

I know I am not good at summarizing the situation, many reports can be
found here for those interested :
http://reliefweb.int/taxonomy/term/69

Frederic

[1] : http://reliefweb.int/node/394813