[HOT] Volunteer with JOSM experience needed for Somalia admin boundary import

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Sat Aug 20 10:35:42 BST 2011

Hey gang,

I smooshed together the administrative boundaries from the UN OCHA Common Operational Dataset into a single OSM file (using PostGIS and Iván's excellent ogr2osm):

  http://iconocla.st/hot/so/so_admin_combined.osm

The region boundaries are now tagged admin_level=4, the district boundaries admin_level=6, and the Mogadishu districts admin_level=9. All this is pretty normal, as per http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative. The ogr2osm step properly deduplicated the polygon edges into discrete ways, and assembled the relations correctly.

Now the subnational boundaries need to be integrated with the national boundary for Somalia in OSM:

I think this is just manual labor for someone, namely stripping away the outer boundaries, and snapping the inner boundaries to the existing national boundaries -- and updating the relations with the new ways. An experienced OSM hacker can probably find a way to strip the outer boundaries from that OSM XML file automatically.

Another issue is that the COD admin boundaries hug the coastline, but the OSM national boundaries extend out into the ocean:

  http://iconocla.st/hot/so/borders.png

It's 2am here, and I lack the time, energy, and, frankly, the expertise with JOSM to do this right. If there's anyone on the list who has a few moments to pick up the ball and run with it, that would be really great. If you don't want to do the final import under your own account -- and I wouldn't -- please send me an OSM XML file and I'll do the upload under the account we created for the HOT Somalia import.

Also, if you do decide to pick up this task, please just drop a quick note to the list, so that others know you're doing it.

Thank you so much, whoever you turn out to be. Also, thanks very much to the folks on #osm for advising me on the best way to proceed with this import. I'll be awake and online in 8 or 9 hours.

SDE