[HOT] Call for volunteers: Somalia roads import

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Mon Aug 22 10:02:28 BST 2011

Hey, folks. After finding some issues with the MadMappers Somalia roads dataset, which were hard to fix automatically, like occasional doubled roads, I finally concluded that the best thing for us to do is to merge the roads data into the OSM database manually:

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Somalia/Roads

The dataset covers all of Somalia, and is pretty detailed. Each of the 128 files comprises a rectangular geographic region of varying sizes, with ~1,050 ways in each file. I cleaned up the data to minimize topological errors, and converted it to OSM format, with a basic tagging scheme. However, the data does still contain issues in some places, such as the occasional set of doubled/overlapping roads. Also, these files still need to be merged in with the data that's already in OSM.

We need volunteers who have experience with JOSM! Please help out by visiting the link above and spending some time merging and uploading the new Somalia roads data.

It's going to be a bit of work, but if we spread it around, it won't be too bad, I hope -- and it will be totally worth it. The roads data here is incredibly detailed, and will undoubtedly be very useful for humanitarian aid.

SDE