[HOT] H.O.T OSM manual and learning OSM in Uganda

Reinier Battenberg reinier.battenberg at mountbatten.net
Wed Dec 14 14:18:37 GMT 2011

That would work for places where there is a way up to the gate, which is
not always the case (it might be like a meter from the main road, or main
dustroad).

What is behind the gate is invisible for anyone standing outside, normally.

It is therefor much easier and more logical to map the gates as part of the
barrier, instead of the roads. That is how we made up the assignment:
http://www.mappingday.com/node/46

We also had a group working on roads & trenches, but especially trenches
and culverts were way too complicated for first-time mappers, using
potlatch, in our experience
http://www.mappingday.com/node/45

(though both trenches & culverts are very important for our local councils
as they can be blocked, and need to be cleaned from time to time. So
knowing where they are will really help them.)

rgds,
reinier

On Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:01:26 AM Rafael Avila Coya
wrote:
> I agree in that barriers are well placed and not confusing. But I think
> it would be nicer if you place the service way (with access=private,
> permissive or public, as needed) that crosses the gate. Doing so the
> rendering would become more clear.
>
> Rafael Avila.
>
> En 13/12/11 22:22, Reinier Battenberg escribiu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > During our first mappinday we had about 40 participants, and 3
walking
> > routes. So, in order to prevent overlap, we tried to come up with 3
> > different assignments, some of them, on each side of the road.
> >
> > Gates, being very visible parts of all the walled compounds in
Kampala,
> > seemed like a good and simple starter feature.
> >
> > The result does look horrible after rendering. But, this is how our
> > neighbourhood is (not horrible, but gatewise): everybody has a gate.
If

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.29207&lon=32.61766&zoom=18&layers=M

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.50101&lon=-0.14219&zoom=17&layers=M

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.29531&lon=32.61574&zoom=17&layers=M