[HOT] ideas on creating a dedicated server for Philippine topomap rectification

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 06:18:24 GMT 2011

At the moment I have 10 GB of jpgs.  But this is only the first batch.
 The whole PH has ~900 toposheets on the average, each sheet is around
50 MB.  So that's around 50 GBs of raw images.  I'm not sure how to
calculate the full disk requirements considering map warper, wms and
tms.

But I think we can start from your offer. :)

Thanks!

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Milo van der Linden <milo at dogodigi.net> wrote:
> How much space do you need?
>
> I got about 6 Tb on my dedicated servers left plus the ability to host the
> warping service itself.
>
> 2011/2/18 maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is Maning from the Philippines.  Last year we had a HOT
>> activation as a response to flooding in Northern Philippines [1].
>> Part of what we did is to rectify several 1:50k  and 1:250K old
>> topographic maps which were hosted in NYPL's Relief Map Warper [2]
>> [3].  Moreover, Schuyler Earl provided another WMS for the same set of
>> maps in the telascience [4].  He used a really cool script to quickly
>> rectify the maps using the four corners.
>>
>> One group saw the initiative and is interested to donate thousands of
>> un-rectified topographic maps in their collection.  What I intend to
>> do is to crowdsource the rectification.  Once rectified, we intend to
>> create a separate public tms/wms for anyone to use. On my end I intend
>> to use them for any future HOT activation in the country and OSM
>> editing.
>>
>> I asked Tim (developer of the Map Warper) if we can upload more topos
>> in NYPL, but the existing service have very limited disk space.  I'm
>> asking the group for help in creating a dedicated webservice to upload
>> and crowdsource the rectification of the maps.  I can maintain the
>> service in the long term and hopefully encourage other data holders to
>> provide more scanned topos.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to do this is very much appreciated.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines_Tropical_Storm_2010
>> [2] http://maps.nypl.org/relief/layers/12
>> [3] http://maps.nypl.org/relief/layers/13
>> [4]