[HOT] [nzopengis] Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team activation?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 20:07:23 GMT 2011

On 24 February 2011 17:08, Hamish <hamish.bowman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tracing building outlines around the city could help, and isn't going
> to conflict with other efforts.

sounds like a useful way forward

> It mentions focusing on medical facilities and blocked roads but
> provides no other guidance. Q: how should blocked roads be tagged in
> OSM? How should active, temporary, and evacuated medical facilities be
> tagged?
> ?=? + status_source=ushahidi report url?

for the blocked roads:
this is in proposal stage, but is stalled - perhaps someone can
resurrect the tag creation process?
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Closed_roads

this section also contains some tags which may be useful (warning:
very large page):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features#Restrictions

particularly the date_on and date_off tags

so, you could use something like:
highway=unclassified
name=High Street
access=no
date_on=2011/02/22 (the date of the earthquake)

quoting the usahidi source would be very good, perhaps with a 'survey'
in there as well

and then add date_off=?? when the road is fixed, or delete the above
tags completely.

it sounds a bit clumsy, but is more consistent with how osm data is
perceived than adding a 'closed_road' tag

alternatively, you could enter the bear pit which is osm-talk and ask there....

i'm not sure about the temporary medical features, perhaps HOT (cc'ed)
came up with something for haiti/pakistan? i'll take a look round
port-au-prince and the haiti wiki page

--
robin

http://tangleball.org.nz/ - Auckland's Creative Space