[HOT] Logo design competition for HOT

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 03:14:04 GMT 2011

It is my pleasure to present the new Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team logo:

http://hot.openstreetmap.org/weblog/2011/01/the-new-hot-logo/

Throughout December we held a logo design competition, inviting the community to
put forward a logo for our organisation. Despite a fairly short deadline, we
received lots of entries, and we were very impressed by the quality of the
designs. We’d like to thank all the competition entrants for taking the time and
applying their talents to come up with logo designs, but we had to pick one logo
as the winner.

The task of picking a winner fell to the competition judges: Mikel Maron, Kate
Chapman, Robert Soden, Nicolas Chavent, and Schuyler Erle. I presented the
designs to them (without revealing the identity of the artists) They then
deliberated and judged on various criteria before eventually picking this
winner. The winning design is by Saman Bemel Benrud. Congratulations to him!
Although less obviously conveying Humanitarian mapping than some other entries,
it was felt that this design had the most striking impact in its elegant
abstract simplicity. Saman described the logo as “an abstraction of map tiles.
In general, I was going for an emblem-style logo inspired by iconic
international aid logos”

This fantastic new logo can now be used by the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
in various places to present a more slick message and communicate our work with
more stylish red spikey flair! The logo is available as SVG:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/a/af/Hot_logo_with_text.svg  We may use
it with slight variations where necessary. In particular different text
arrangements may be necessary. In fact we’ve experimented with a few variations:
http://harrywood.co.uk/temp/hotlogo_variations.png  B was the original design
from the artist. The judges preferred “OpenStreetMap” spelled out in full.

The other submitted designs can also be found via links on the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team_Logo  (plus more
information on the competition and using the logo) Thanks again to all those who
took part. If you’re keen on logo design, but missed out on this, perhaps you’d
like to check out the SotM conference logo design challenge running now:
http://stateofthemap.org/logo-design-challenge/  Thanks also go to the judges
for taking on this tricky decision!

Harry Wood