[HOT] [OSM-talk] Fw: Disaster Preparedness Project

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Tue Jun 7 00:16:11 BST 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Samuel Mandell wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I'd appreciate any additional information regarding the maps generated for Christchurch. I'll also check out www.safety-maps.org.
>
> -Samuel

First pass was dumping out maps just based on custom size and bounding boxes at: http://maps.eq.org.nz/print/. This simply used a live updating osm database ("minutely mapnik"), the mapnik rendering library, and shell script run on a cron job that called nik2img with different parameters.

Then Rob Coup (cc'ed) started gearing up for customizing MapOSMatic to enable the user to choose their bounding box and what they wanted on their map. I think he ended up coming up with a custom solution rather than using a modified MapOSMatic, and this turned out very nicely and can be see here: http://maps.eq.org.nz/print/custom/