[HOT] contacting local mappers through their OSM accounts during HOT campaigns

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Sun Mar 13 17:21:13 GMT 2011

Hi Hugh,

I think contacting local mappers of course is important.  I also think HOT is a little more nebulous than many of the volunteer crisis response groups.  Meaning we aim to serve as a coordination, but people are going to map if they think it is useful an appropriate.  Since OSM is a location information community/data source first and a humanitarian response tool second it makes things a bit weird at time.

Is the (wtf) about the Google Docs or just that one is accidentally locked?  If you link to it I can look to unlocking it.  The reason we have some of the training materials there is:

1. We print those and take them to places with little/no internet connectivity.  Google docs has worked better for us for that sort of export
2. We collaborate on them in real-time sometimes, which also works better than the wiki.

Yes getting in touch with mappers if you are going to do a bunch of editing in their area is the polite thing to do.  Though you'll find regionally there are different contact mechanisms depending on what worked for the local group.

Do you have an interest in helping develop activation protocols?   What is key I think is making them clear enough to help with organization, but not really strict where people would just ignore them.

-Kate