[HOT] Interested in Assisting Newbies to Help Map Japan?

davespod osmlists at dellams.fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 17 22:49:17 GMT 2011

Kate Chapman wrote:

> I would suggest JOSM because of the use of so many types of WMS.

> As far as what to map, roads and obstacles would probably be the easiest
> to start with.

I have just spent an entire evening trying to find a suitable place to map
some roads from post-disaster imagery for the video (well the imagery hi-res
enough to see minor roads), but I have not been able to find anything left.
The wiki page seems to suggest we should not be using pre-disaster Bing
imagery except for comparison purposes. Is that correct?

In which case, can anyone drop me a line to suggest somewhere to trace a few
roads for the video? I can probably spent Friday evening making the video,
but after that my free time gets very scarce and I will probably have to
pass the mantle to someone else, so any help in identifying a good place to
use as the example would be much appreciated.

Cheers

David

P.S. Perhaps not having anything left is rather a good "problem" to have,
but if that is the case then it also means possibly re-thinking how those
keen volunteers could contribute.

P.P.S. Of course, don't let this stop anyone else volunteering to make a
video!