[HOT] Flooding in Richelieu River, Quebec, Canada : Follow-up

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Tue May 24 23:25:48 BST 2011

On may 23, strong winds up to 80 km/h pushed rapidly Lake Champlain water in Richelieu river. For the second time in a month, a high level record have been registered in Lake Champlain and Richelieu river basin.

My city and a total of 18 cities are principally affected. No severe injuries are registered, but people are fighthing to save there houses. Many people are fragile and severely affected of a month long of fighting with nature elements. Many retired persons and low level revenu persons are living in this area. Exhausted volunteers are building dikes around homes. Tension and frustration is becoming high among affected people. Many have already lost there houses.

The next steps (cleaning, repairs) will bring thousand of people in affected zones. SOS-Richelieu, a Volunteers organization in wich I am involved (http://sosrichelieu.com/ ) , is requesting Indexed maps of streets of the affected zones. HOT Team and OSM mappers can help by assuring these maps be available rapidly.

If it was possible, the best would be to use a tool such as Mapsomatic to produce Indexed street maps for a specific zone delimited by a boundary relation. We do not want to produce a map a all a city but only of flooded zones. If you have any idea in how to do so, your comments would be appreciated.

I started a wiki page at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2011_Richelieu_river_flooding

I also started to roughly draw affected zones using the following tags.
natural=wetland
damage=flooded
note=temporary; richelieu river flooding may 2011

For the time being, this is a draw of the affected zone. But is enough to see in wich areas, the street names should be added.

I should obtain soon detailed maps produced by cities of affected zones and will then modify the map in consequence.

Regards,

Pierre Béland
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu